Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tasty Thailand

The food in Thailand is absolutely fantastic, and I have spent the last two months feasting on as many different dishes as possible! I'm not a massive fan of spicy food, but the Thais are, so I've adapted to that and noticed that my tolerance for spice has increased during my time here. I've also become quite adventurous when ordering, choosing whichever dish sounds the most interesting, regardless of whether I know what it is or not!

The list of foods that I have enjoyed is endless, but here is a summary of my favorite Thai dishes:

Pork Stuffed Omelette: Omelette 'pouch' filled with minced pork, sometimes glass noddles, sometimes a tomato sauce, and a variety of vegetables and spices to season.


Massaman Curry: A coconut milk, roasted peanut, and chili based curry, usually with potatoes and sometimes other vegetables. Commonly it is made with beef, but I prefer chicken, as beef out here is often poor quality and can be chewy. Thai curry has a soup like consistency.


Chicken Pad Thai: Stir-fried rice noodles in a soy/ tamarind/garlic sauce, with egg, vegetables, tofu and chicken. Served with sugar, chilies and chopped peanuts to taste.


Garlic and Pepper Chicken: Chicken stir-fried in a very garlicky and peppery sauce!! Served with steamed rice.



Minced Pork with Basil and Chili: Minced pork stir-fried with holy basil, garlic and chili; often very spicy. I like to have this with steamed rice and a fried egg. (Excuse the photo, I stared eating before I remembered that I needed to take a picture!)


I'm not a massive fan of Thai dessert as it's not particularly indulgent. But I really enjoyed sticky rice with mango when we cooked it with Uni during our cooking course.

Sticky Rice with Mango: Sticky rice cooked in a sweet, creamy mix of coconut milk, condensed milk, and sugar, served with sliced mango.


...But my favorite dessert is definitely a passion fruit ice-lolly!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...